Well, what a week this has been! After going for my agency interview last Thursday, the lovely interviewer, Shona, recommended me for the role that I had been nominated for, and she lined up an interview with my prospective employers for this Monday afternoon.

My husband, Chris, was going to take me to the office for the interview, but Haku, one of our daughter’s nine rats, needed to go to the vet because his foot had swollen up, so I bravely said, that I would go all by myself.


Haku is a guts

The office was about half an hour drive away, that’s twice as far as I used to drive to my old job. And I even had to drive on the motorway for a short time. Just for me to go out of my comfort zone like that is a big step, never mind having my first job interview in years. I am constantly surprising myself lately; doing things that I used to chicken-out of, to find they are notย so scary after all.

The interview went well, I was myself and I didn’t pretend to be anything I wasn’t. It was like the agency interview all over again, only this time I was still on a high from a weekend full of comedy shows. I had watched Sammy J’s new show 30 Ricketts Lane, twice, and I got to meet him after the show; I’d had a little hug too. My comedy-high definitely spilled over to the next day, and after the interview I thought they would either think I was a crazy comedian-stalker, or they would see I was a well-balanced woman, with a lot of outside interests to help keep me sane in the workplace. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway, I must have impressed the three interviewers, because I got a call very early on Tuesday morning from the agency telling me that the prospective employers had found me ‘delightful and quirky’ and wanted to know if I could start the next day? I told her, “of course I can!” and so after just less than 8 weeks since my redundancy, my life as a domestic goddess has been cruelly cut short.

So, on Wednesday 24 March, I started work as a Project Administrator, assisting and helping to organise the Project Manager (the lady who suggested I go for the role). I have been a sponge for the past 3 days, absorbing lots of information about the project being worked on. It’s a lot to take in at the moment, and I can’t wait to get my teeth stuck into things so I can feel useful again. I will be able to do more after my Council Induction next Monday and Tuesday.

The plan is that I will be there for two to three months, maybe more; after that I don’t know what will happen. You never know, Council might like me and take me on permanently, or my project manager might decide to take me with her to her next assignment, (although she will be taking about 3 months off after this one for a rest). Or the agency may send me to interview for another post somewhere else. I don’t know what will happen in the future, but I am happy to be where I am now… they have 13 different types of tea bags for a start: I’m in tea heaven! However, the place is also booby-trapped with several containers of biscuits on the kitchen bench and lolly jars everywhere!

Whatever happens from now on, I feel I’m on my way. Between a few people believing in me, and the TYSIC (Ten Year Self-Improvement Challenge started by Mark Watson) I went for a job that I didn’t think was within my reach. Other people believed I had it in me, it was only me that didn’t believe. With a new optimistic, ‘if I don’t try I won’t know’ attitude, I’ve proved myself worthy of at least being given the chance. Now I’m going to try my hardest not to let anyone down, including myself.

I’ll admit, there’s still a part of me that thinks ‘I can’t believe I’ve been allowed this chance’ but when I’m feeling confident, my brain tells me ‘of course you deserve to have this chance, you rock!’

Oh, and just in case you wanted to know, Haku is now on antibiotics and he is feeling much better. ๐Ÿ™‚